Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A question for Christians...

Here is a question for all my Christian friends.

If there were no heaven and no hell, if when you die there is nothing, you just die, and I'm not saying this is the way it is,but hypothetically if when you die you simply cease to exist, would you still be a Christian?

Everything else remains the same, the only thing that changes is what happens to us when we die, if death meant death would you still live your life the way Christ tells us to? There would be no reward in the afterlife but no punishment either, would you allow yourself a few sins you don't now and would you continue to love and forgive the way you do now?

What drives you as a Christian? Is it God's love or a future reward or fear of a punishment? If you would like to answer this question please comment on this page, I would be interested in reading your answers.

2 comments:

  1. Love this question!

    I would remain Christian living in the same way I do now, because realistically, I have no clue what to expect. I would still love my children dearly and protect them and teach them to be good people. I would still have an aversion to unethical behavior. And I would still remain faithful because I have experienced enough goodness and love to last eternity..every day is a gift and I am grateful for every blessing.

    I also want to be creamated (sp) and to have my ashes spread in the Pacific ocean. Knowing that my body was reunited with nature even if my soul ceases to exist would be enough to satisfy my end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, being the Atheist I am, that is a question that I ask and am asked. The threat of hell, or promise of heaven for those who believe, is what I see as the driver for morality for some, or at least that is how it appears. It makes me feel good to know that some people have actions that are not driven by fear and reward, but simply out of doing what is right regardless of your religious beliefs.

    ReplyDelete